Firstly we will revisit the method with ADB manual installation. Please make sure that you meet all the requirements:
- Unlocked bootloader.
- All correct drivers are installed on your PC.
- Download the vbmeta.img file. Download link: vbmeta.rar
- Downloaded .img kernel file you’re planning to flash.
Now follow these steps:
- Make sure that vbmeta.img and downloaed kernel .img are located in the same folder with adb. The folder can be named differently, but it’s the one where you’ve platform-tools installed.
- Start your phone in fastboot mode.
- Open the terminal window from the folder with adb and check if your phone is identified with the following command, you should see device serial number:
- fastboot devices
- Use the following command to flash the custom kernel file, where “kernel_name” is the name of the downloaded file name:
- fastboot flash boot kernel_name.img
- Next, enter the following command to apply the vbmeta patch:
- fastboot –disable-verity –disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Reboot into the system:
- fastboot reboot
Here’s the tutorial on how to install the custom kernel via TWRP Custom Recovery. To use this method you must have TWRP installed on your device.
- Download and copy custom kernel archive to phone internal memory.
- Reboot into TWRP Custom Recovery.
- Go to “Install” menu and select the downloaded archive.
- Proceed with installation and wait until it’s finished.
- Go back to the main menu and reboot into system via TWRP menu: Reboot > System.
That’s pretty much it. You can share your experience about flashing custom kernel versions on your device in the comments below.